Friday, March 25, 2011

the rest of the irish

The first night we were in Ireland we went out to a local pub (The Washington) with a bunch of Joe's friends from Cork. I was supposed to meet up with Tess, but we all know that two drunk girls without phones were never going to actually be able to meet up. (Although I think we figured out the next day that at some point we were at the same bar...strange). Anyways point being, this night was great! We danced to traditional Irish music, enjoyed way too many Beamish's (their local stout), and had way too many laughs with some awesome new friends. After that we made our way to another pub (Clancy's) for a few last drinks. It was chill and relaxing and perfect for the end of the night. And then of course we had to try out their version of drunk food (which is basically just poutine with garlic mayo sauce - that garlic sauce is what they rave about). This type of food is what led me to feeling like I had gained an unfortunate amount of weight while in Ireland (and maybe some of those Beamish's). 
The last leg of our trip in Ireland was spent in Dublin. We were able to walk around the city for a bit and get a feel for what it is like there. We had an amazingly cheap and delicious meal at a restaurant in the Temple Bar area (I had bruschetta and guinness and beaf stew). Then we met up with Hayley and Mel (who I met in Spain) to get Claire's cellphone that she forgot at their apartment when we visited. They were so generous and offered to let us sleep on the floor at the hotel they were staying at, located right next to the airport making our walk at the early hour of 5:30am to the airport not so bad. Plus it was SO much better then our alternative, which was obviously to sleep in the Dublin airport.
As expected it was a fabulous trip. I loved meeting a ton of new people while I was in Ireland and of course getting to see Hayley and Mel again was a nice surprise. I am hoping to see them again during the first week of May when we will be going to Belgium and the Netherlands (seeing them in Amsterdam - and if everything works out as hoped I will also be seeing....KIRSTIN!! yay...but more on that later). Although the trip was unreal I was very happy to get home that Saturday morning and climb right into my bed (despite it being a cot it felt like heaven that day), where I stayed for the entire day watching movies. Just what I needed after a crazy 3 days. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment