Thursday, April 28, 2011

a bavarian experience

If there was one word to describe my time in Munich it would probably have to be...beer. But actually. That's really what sums up our entire time in this wonderful German city. And when I say beer, I mean lots of it, in the biggest mugs I have ever seen. It provided endless entertainment at first, and then it just became normal, which is not good because we will forever hold all beer expectations up to our Munich experience. We visited a variety of beer gardens including the second largest in Munich with the capacity to hold 7000 people (and I think it was almost the full the day we went). So fascinated with the litre mugs we decided to get a Hofbrauhaus one from the Chinese Tower beer garden. I actually ended up coming home with 2 of the mugs...but thats a whole separate story. 
Our first
In awe
Viktualienmarkt
Bratwurst, sauerkraut and beer = so Bavarian
Augustiner
And if you are wondering, yes we did do a few other things besides sit in beer gardens (although most did consist of eating but oh well). We enjoyed the biggest pretzels I have ever seen, ice-cream and various food from the market (including the largest pickles we have ever seen). But the best thing we did in the city was decide to do Mikes Bike Tour. It lasted about 5 hours and allowed us to see everything we needed to in the city with our handy dandy tour guide Rob filling us in on everything we should know. Now let me tell you I have never seen a city so dedicated to bikers. Which was a good thing for us considering bikes seem to have special privileges when riding through the city (aka we ring our bell, people/cars move). It was awesome. And by far my favourite activity of our entire trip. 
Bike tour!
Theatine Church
Massive pretzels
Englischer Garten
Angel of Peace
New Town Hall in Marienplatz
Viktualienmarkt
I had the most amazing time in Munich! I am so glad that I am headed back there at the beginning of June with some friends from home. More beer, more bratwurst, and more pretzels. When did my life start to revolve so much around eating?
This was the end of our time in Germany and then it was off to the lovely and beautiful France (even more delicious food to eat - are you starting to see a pattern). xo

No comments:

Post a Comment