Friday, January 28, 2011

...so it happened

When I found out that I would be coming to Scotland for exchange I figured that this would eventually happen. Although if you know me it may come to a bit of a surprise. Especially to those friends of mine who have this all the time. You are probably starting to wonder what it is that I am talking about. Well....I had tea! I  realize that for most people this is a normal occurrence but for me this was a big deal.
Having tea for the first time
My mom and I went for high tea at the Willow Tearooms at 217 Sauchiehall street last week. Located above a jeweller's shop the Willow Tearooms offers a magnificent restored Mackintosh interior, complete with purple roses and high backed chairs. First opened in 1904, this became the most famous of local entrepreneur Kate Cranston's revolutionary tearooms, where respectable men and women could meet up.
The Willow Tearooms
Interior
As mentioned previously in this post the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh can be seen all across Glasgow. He also designed interiors for Cranston at Ingram St, Buchanan St, and Argyle St. The Willow was the only tea room building where Mackintosh had complete control over every aspect of the design. He modelled the exterior as well as the interior of the building and even designed the tea spoons and waitresses' dresses. The Willow name comes from Sauchiehall, the street where it is situated, which in Scottish Gaelic means alley of the willows and the theme of willows featured throughout the building.
High tea
We will see if tea becomes a normal part of my life after living here for 4 months. I am not sure I will be able to escape it!

1 comment: