Saturday, January 22, 2011

kelvingrove

Admiring Kelvingrove
On Thursday my mom and I went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. In my guide book to Scotland it said that it was geared to kids - in that it had interactive games and lots of colours - so this was basically THE perfect museum for me. The exterior is stunning, and possibly my favourite building so far (although there are a few competitors which I will show soon).
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
The typical jumping shot outside Kelvingrove
Interior corridor of Kelvingrove 



Although random, one of the most memorable things we learned at Kelvingrove was that there is a tiny island 41 miles west of the Scotland mainland that most people are unaware of. A small population of 180 islanders lived a secluded life until the late 1800's, where contact with the outside world increased and a loss of self-sufficiency occurred. By 1930 the remaining 36 islanders were evacuated from St. Kilda. Today it is a world heritage site owned by the National Trust of Scotland. Click here to find out more about the island that I quickly became fascinated by.

1 comment:

  1. okay so these pictures are completely fabulous and the history freak in me is already loving the museum. the little island story is cool too, defs gonna check it out :)

    ReplyDelete